nutrientthumbnail

Calcium

Calcium (Ca) is the most common mineral in the human body. More than 99% of total body calcium is stored in the bones and teeth; the remaining 1% is found throughout the body in blood, muscle, and the fluid between cells (1).

Download PDF

Learn more

Things to know about Calcium

  • Other Applications

    An analysis of 23 large observational studies found a reduction in systolic blood pressure of 0.34 millimeters mercury (mm Hg) per 100 mg calcium consumed daily and a reduction in diastolic blood pressure of 0.15 mm Hg per 100 mg calcium (25). Read More

  • Supply Situation

    According to nutrition surveys of five European countries, the average calcium intake is 884 mg/day for adult men, and 786 mg/day for women (43). Read More

  • Deficiency

    Long lasting calcium deficiency may prevent optimal skeletal development, contribute to accelerated bone loss and to the development of osteoporosis. Read More

  • Sources

    Foods high in calcium (Ca) include dairy products like milk, yogurt, and cheddar cheese. Tofu is also a source of calcium. Read More

  • Safety

    Abnormally elevated blood calcium ('hypercalcemia') has been reported only with the consumption of large quantities of calcium supplements (1.5 to 16.5 g/day), usually in combination with calcium carbonate ('antacids') and milk to treat open, painful wounds in the stomach ('peptic ulcers') (1). Read More

This site uses cookies to store information on your computer.

Learn more